Sunday, January 1, 2012

Achieving Goals in the New Year

Happy New Year!

While I was scanning a few "Top 10" lists that are all over the place this time of year, the famous Darth Vader Volkswagen ad from last year's Super Bowl came up on my screen. Even after watching it multiple times, this video still makes me smile!

It struck me as I watched it that it's a good metaphor for the start of a new year. It's important no matter where we are in our lives or careers to keep growing and take steps toward achieving our goals.

So, whether you and I are working toward large goals in the coming year or simply setting small goals and working toward them in short bursts, we can take some pointers from young Darth below:

  • Keep focused on what you want to achieve and consistently work toward it.
  • Acknowledge when you're frustrated, but don't get stuck at frustration - get back at it and  keep trying.
  • Remember when you reach your goal, look around at those who are close to you and/or celebrating with you. They were probably supporting you more than you realize!